Uber is seeking senior-level Front End, Backend, iOS, and Android developers to join the Localization/Internationalization Engineering Team. Read more below and apply at t.uber.com/i18n-hiring
Operating in over 70 countries and available in 50+ languages, Uber is a massively global company. Each city has its own culture, its own character, and its own local feel. The Internationalization Team’s software powers this highly-localized experience.
We’re seeking senior engineers with 5+ years of strong coding experience to make significant impact building internal localization tools, strengthening our internationalization practices, and advancing our translation platform for all of Uber. Your role will be to help drive Uber into the future with faster, more efficient, and higher quality internationalization/localization.
The internationalization platform team is solving difficult problems such as:
- Uber ships its app to the app store continuously. There are hundreds of engineers committing to these repositories. How can we seamlessly integrate high quality, up-to-date translations into that flow?
- Uber’s engineering style is one of continuous deployment. How can we take the time from when a new translation becomes available to when it’s visible in the app down to seconds?
- Uber’s microservice architecture is made up of thousands of services in multiple programming languages. How can we maintain a consistent experience for both developers and end users (e.g. plurals/genders, ICU / CLDR integrations, bidi, pseudolocalization, i18n testing, best practices, etc.)?
- Uber has a strong team of localization program managers and linguists, how can we set them up for perfect localization *and* extreme efficiency?
- Uber moves fast. How can we ensure product and operations teams can move quickly by inputting their own translations without undermining the work of our localization team? How do we leverage all of this data to build machine translation capabilities?
If these challenges sound interesting, then this position is for you.
What you’ll need:
- Enthusiasm for our mission. We want Uber to feel as local to users in Jakarta and Tel Aviv as it does in San Francisco. You’re excited to use your unique background and experiences to solve the problems mentioned above.
- Expertise. Whether applying for a Front End, Backend, iOS, or Android position, you’re an expert in your domain.
- Ability to learn on the go. You have expertise in areas you've worked in and an eagerness to learn in areas you haven't.
- Product sense. You create more than beautiful code. Engineers at Uber play a crucial role in choosing what we build and how we build it.
- Versatility. You understand how all the pieces fit together (front-end, database, network layer, etc.) and how they impact the performance of your application.
- Design skills. You care about your consumers: Uber's Localization, Engineering, Operations teams so they can continue to grow Uber faster than any other company.
- Passion. You feel ownership over everything you touch. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring, strong documentation, and proper test coverage and you call something “done” only when these are in place.
- A team player attitude. You believe that you can achieve more on a team - that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement and you help others by returning the favor.
This position is based in Uber’s San Francisco headquarters. However, members of the i18n Team have flexibility and regularly work from our Palo Alto office as well.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- Benefits 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on the IMUG Jobs Board